Friday, October 13, 2017

I'm back...

After a period of several years without any blogging activity, I've decided to begin writing again. The last few years have seen me very immersed in work, and I have lost the taste for blogging and writing in general. I've become quite unhappy about this situation and, finally, it has led to me giving up working. So I'm now, and for the time being, a full time writer: I expect writing to take up a large part of my life in the coming years, but for the moment I'm just starting out again, making a couple of tentative scratches...

Prior to getting more deeply involved in writing activities, I have to put my life in order after moving back from France to the UK at the end of September. There's a lot to be sorted out after fourteen years outside the UK on ex-pat assignments. And we are back in the house which we left 20 years ago which is a strange feeling, especially since some of our old neighbours are still living across the road and next door. One daughter is grown up and training as an opera singer. The other has her sights set on the stage and is still at home with us while she finishes her schooling.

We are perched in a little house on a major rail route from London to Cambridge. Trains go past constantly with a rumble or a whoosh. We don't mind them. Those are comforting noises to us: the chatter of the rails and the hoot of fast trains. And apart from this, I can tell you that it is a very nice feeling to put books on bookcases that are your own bookcases in your own house. Bookcases that nobody else can tell you to take those books off. And even though there are too few bookcases and too many books... I'm really happy.

No comments: